Black Toxic Mold, Can Be Deadly to Animals, Study Says  0

Posted on July 22nd, 2012. About , Black Mold, For Sale By Owner, Home Improvement.
This article is about a report recently published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. This report shows that toxic black mold can be deadly to pets.A veterinary specialist in Marathon, Florida was performing a dental procedure on 2 cats from different homes. The vet started to notice that during the procedure there was frothy blood in the tubes used to supply the anesthesia for both cats. He immediately stopped the procedure. The one cat died the next day and the other died 2 weeks later.

Blood that had been drawn on the cats was tested and both came back showing levels of the toxin that is produced by stachybotrys chartarum, a toxic black mold.Exposure to this mold has been known to cause respiratory problems, pulmonary hemorrhage, and death. These have only been reported in humans up until now.

The two cats were considered healthy cats and recently been tested and shown to have no illnesses. The cats, however, both lived in homes that suffered water damage as a result of a hurricane in 2005. The cat owners were advised to check their homes for mold and sure enough they both discovered they had severe mold contamination from stachybotrys in their walls.

The toxin produced by stachybotrys weakens the capillaries making them very fragile and susceptible to bursting. The dental procedure was enough to make the fragile capillaries in the lungs of the cat burst. Both cats died from complications arising from pulmonary hemorrhaging.

Dr. Mader hopes that this study will spur animal owners affected by floods or hurricanes and water damage of any kind to check their houses for mold and if found, have the mold removed immediately.

Choose from Full RSS or comments RSS feeds.
Welcome to our StartRemodeling.com Blog is powered by WordPress 3.5.1 and delivered to you in 0.169 seconds.
Design by Matthew. Administrator login and new user registration.