Black Mold Removal Guidelines  0

Posted on November 18th, 2007. About .

Black Mold GuidelinesA 1999 Mayo Clinic Study cites molds as the cause of most of the chronic sinus infections that inflict 37 million Americans each year. Recent studies also link molds to the soaring asthma rate. Molds have been an under recognized health problem, but that is changing. Health-care professionals now know that molds can cause allergies, trigger asthma attacks and increase susceptibility to colds and flu. Anyone with a genetic predisposition can become allergic if exposed repeatedly to high enough levels. Last year Dr. David Sherris at the Mayo Clinic performed a study of 210 patients with chronic sinus infections and found that most had allergic fungal sinusitis. The prevailing medical opinion has been that mold accounted for 6 to 7 percent of all chronic sinusitis. The Mayo Clinic study found that it was 93 percent – the exact reverse. Newsweek, 12/4/00
Mold, nor spores cause illness, other than allergy and/or infections. It is the mycotoxins released when the molds’ food source (moisture) is severed.

An Important Note to Our Visitors:

Toxic Black Mold Exposure and its affects can be very confusing if you do not understand what you are dealing with. We believe it can be controlled with the right knowledge.

HOWEVER, getting over the health problems caused by toxic mold exposure is not as easy.

Please Remember that Toxic Black Mold in Your Home or Workplace & Bad Indoor Air Quality in general, can be Dangerous to Your Health. Never Touch or Go Near Suspected Toxic Mold without Proper Protective Gear. Do Not Breathe In Toxic Mold If At All Possible.

Good Luck! ~ “RemodelingGuy”
To help comprehend how small mycotoxins are, one common housefly could carry about 7.35 billion attached to its external body hairs. Consequently, IF 50,000 constitute a theoretically lethal dose, a housefly could carry a lethal dose for over 100,000 individuals.

Outdoor spores are not a usual cause of toxicity, (except for allergies and infection), but when growing inside, molds produce toxins, which are in much higher concentration and can cause illness.

Indoor mold spores indicate mold growth, which indicates mycotoxin production. Currently, we can measure spores, identify spores, but it is difficult to measure mycotoxins. Stachybotrys produces at least 170 known mycotoxins, and probably more that have not been identified.

The Safe Removal of House Mold and Black Mold

House mold is a problem that’s causing more and more concern for people everywhere. The source of a great deal of property damage, house mold can also cause considerable discomfort and illness (particularly allergic problems) if people are exposed to it on a regular basis.

House mold can be controlled — and problems, when detected, can be virtually eliminated. It’s strictly a matter of dealing with dampness and moisture. Here’s why: Mold spores are everywhere in nature. They are constantly floating in the air (they’re too small for the naked eye to see). As dry floaters, they do no harm to people or property. The trouble begins when these mold spores land on surfaces that are wet, like:
leaky pipes rooms or household areas that are unusually humid places where rainwater (or water from a leaky pipe) might seep in and collect; behind walls, for instance, in crawl spaces or in the attic.

Consider this fact: All kinds of mold appear in nature, and none of them grow without water or moisture.

However, it’s hard to detect the onset of mold growth, especially if it’s happening in an out-of-the-way location (such as behind a wall). By the time you discover it (through moldy, mildew-like smells), house mold is already a problem. Mold removal is imperative.

Reported Symptoms

The following list represents some of the symptoms reported in literature relative to mold exposure. Other symptoms specific to infectious and/or toxic molds may be experienced.

Respiratory problems
Nasal & sinus congestion
Burning, watery or reddened eyes
Blurry vision or light sensitivity
Dry, hacking cough
Nose and throat irritation
Shortness of breath
Skin irritations
Memory problems
Mood changes
Aches & pains
Immune suppression

House Mold and Health Problems

When house mold is growing freely, it releases allergens (particles that cause allergic reactions), irritants and even, in some cases, toxins, into the air. The usual immune response to breathing in house mold might be excessive sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, rash and, in some cases, asthma.

Black Mold: Danger in the Walls

Most house molds are usually relatively harmless in nature. Save for the potential allergic-type reactions, they do little other harm to people. Black mold is something different, and much more serious.

Known to scientists as Strachybotrys atra or Strachybotrys chartarum, black mold is slimy and often shiny (because it’s wet) in appearance. Greenish/black in color, black mold has been known to cause all kinds of lung disorders, including respiratory bleeding, bronchitis and asthma. It can be fatal as well, especially for babies.

Black mold is no joke.

Be especially careful if you try to clean it up yourself. In fact, if you suspect black mold in your home, you’re probably making a wise decision to call for expert mold removal.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have issued these preventive measures against black mold:

Keep home humidity down.

Make sure ventilation is adequate (especially in the kitchen and bathrooms).

When choosing cleansers, use mold-killing products.

Don’t carpet bathrooms.

Mold Removal

If you discover mold growth in your home, tend to it immediately. The longer house mold is free to grow, the more damage it can cause. Don’t just clean up the mold. Removal is not enough. You must also fix the water or humidity problem that caused the mold in the first place. In terms of mold removal, consider these important questions:

Should you do it yourself? If the damage is confined to less than 10 square feet, you can probably handle the problem yourself. (Note: If the damage is due to black mold, you might feel more comfortable calling on a mold removal expert.)

Is your HVAC system involved? Before anything else, have your air ducts cleaned thoroughly. Do NOT run your heat or air conditioning before the problem is addressed. Doing so will increase the likelihood of spreading mold throughout your house.

Was the water damage caused by sewage or other contaminated water? Call on an experienced professional to deal with the problem.

Tips for Mold Removal

If you decide to tackle the project yourself, keep these tips in mind:

Fix the source of your water leak first

Never scrape or scratch at mold.

Your actions could release spores into the air and present an inhalation risk.

Prevent skin contact.

Always wear rubber gloves and a facemask.

If mold is on a hard surface scrub it with detergent and water.

If you must use chlorine bleach or other “biocides,” be sure to vent the area to the outside.

Dry the area completely.

If house mold is on an absorbent surface, such as carpeting or ceiling tiles, it will be difficult to clean thoroughly. These items might have to be discarded and replaced.

Before painting or caulking a surface, ensure mold removal is complete.

Choose from Full RSS or comments RSS feeds.
Welcome to our Blog is powered by WordPress 3.5.1 and delivered to you in 0.180 seconds.
Design by Matthew. Administrator login and new user registration.